Kim Padan: Pro-Life Speaker

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Q Up Some Birthday Cards

Hello...it's Wednesday, and it's WARM!

Just a few days ago, it was bitter cold here in central Illinois, but today it is in the mid 50's! Spring has sprung!

And with that warm weather, comes some fun cards for spring birthdays.  I needed a card for my brother.  I was already late for his birthday, which is the norm for most years, but I am doing so much better this year!  It's hard to make cards for him, so I figured these colors from the ColourQ would make a great gender-neutral card.  I really didn't think I would get into these colors, but the design team had projects that were truly inspiring!  The sketch is a few weeks old, but I am catching up on my goal to complete all of the SCS 2015 sketch challenges. Instead of making a square card, I stuck with a classic A2 size.





All of the supplies for this card are from Stampin' Up.  My card base is crumb cake.  I used my new vellum (a freebie from Sale-a-Bration) with the leaf pattern.  There is no color on these vellum sheets, so I colored the back with markers.  I combined lucky limeade and summer starfruit to mach the kiwi kiss card stock on my horizontal panel. The kiwi is embossed with the vine folder...I always forget the name!  After coloring the vellum, I mounted it onto very vanilla card stock, and added some basic black, punched with the scallop border. My diamond is comprised of black and basic gray, and I added a bit of vanilla for the sentiment from "On Your Birthday."  Two enamel dots wrap it up. Even though this is a color scheme I would not have tried on my own, I am really happy with the end result.  (That's the whole point of these challenges, right?)










Next, I have another past SCS sketch, plus this week's color challenge from SCS:  Lost lagoon, pear pizzazz, daffodil delight, and strawberry slush...Wowza!  What an amazing palette for spring! I am not a huge pink fan, but combined with the other colors, this was fun!  The sketch has a heart (it was before Valentine's Day) but I opted for a large flower instead.






I have a lost lagoon base, with a strip of daffodil delight pattern paper.  The main image was lots of fun.  This is a silhouette image from SU's "Upsy Daisy," but I opted to take my markers to it, to create a multi-colored field of flowers.  Around the flowers, I lightly sponged the sky and grass.  I layered it on daffodil paper, then onto strawberry slush card stock for more contrast.  The sentiment is from "On Your Birthday."  My big flower is from a package from Darice(?)...it had been unopened for YEARS!  But I thought it was a perfect match to the stamped image, and for completing the sketch.  Plus the challenge "dessert" was to include non-stamped flowers.  Even my brad counts for that!  The enamel dots are from an online store.







Next, I have 2 cards from the previous ColourQ challenges.  Not that I am obsessed with color challenges or anything that causes me to do them after the blog deadline...oh wait.  I am. Ha!  Anywho, for the sake of time, and because I have other actual "work" things to do, I am just going to include BRIEF notes.




CQC281 sings SPRING! So I pulled out my nostalgic favorite set, "Best Blossoms."  Non-SU embellishments go well with cool Carribean (I don't have any of the "real" stuff.) I should make a bunch of these...everyone needs a cheerful Hello when spring comes to town!













Now, here is CQC282, another challenge that leans more subtle...not quite monochromatic.  These are tricky for me.  I had a small scrap of brocade blue card stock, already crimped. I also crumpled and sponged my newsprint  I stamped my butterflies using the Embossed Kisses technique for Lydia's VSN challenge.  It's hard to see, but I used the hounds-tooth folder.  The stamps used are "Blessings from Heaven" and "Flight of the Butterfly."

That's 4 cards in one post...good grief!  I better clean up my mess, and work on some other stuff.  Thanks for stopping by!


Inky {{{HUGS}}}
Kim

2 comments:

  1. These are so beautiful! I love all the spring-time images! Thanks for joining us at colourQ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful cards...love your entry for this week, so sweet and the perfect birthday card too! Thank you so much for playing along with us at ColourQ, hope to see you again next week.

    ReplyDelete