Kim Padan: Pro-Life Speaker

Friday, December 23, 2011

Friday Mashup! Watercolor and Sketch



Hello and Happy Friday!! Time for a fabulous Friday Mashup challenge! Can you believe Christmas is 2 days away?? I can't! Not only am I not ready, but I started feeling sick earlier this week. Yup, by yesterday afternoon, I was a mess! Thank goodness I have the day off so I can sleep off and on! Anywho...my card didn't get to the challenge blog on time, but here it is. I actually hope to make a better card before the end of the day!!

Lisa has this week's challenge...she calls it "easy"...well, shucks, I struggled quite a bit! But I forgive her! LOL!! Here is the challenge:


  1. Make a project using the sketch shown above

  2. Make a project using watercoloring

  3. Or Mash it Up and make a project using the sketch and watercoloring

Well, I knew I needed a few more Christmas cards, and this set from last year's Holiday Mini had never seen ink. I just ran out of time for watercoloring, and so I figured I could do it this year. (As I am typing, I have one completed, but hope to make 12 of these.) I started with island indigo for my card base, layered with some Stampin' Up watercolor paper. I stamped the image from Rejoicing in Christmas with craft ink and heat embossed. Then I used my aqua brush to "paint" with river rock, soft suede, early espresso, pool party, indigo island, blush blossom, and basic gray. Next I sponged the background with pool party, wisteria wonder, and indigo island. I then stamped the star with gold ink, added clear embossing powder, and heat embossed. I added some gold smooch for the halos. (One area I need to improve on the other cards!) I added some wisteria wonder card stock, cut with the top note die and embossed with the perfect polka dots folder. The horizontal strip is soft suede textured card stock, with the scallop trim edge. The sentiment is from the same stamp set, punched out with the scallop oval and lightly sponged. The final detail is some pool party ruffled ribbon.


Well, I need to work on my execution, but I'm happy with the design! Maybe after some cold medicine and hot tea, I can crank out the rest. After all, I need to get them in the mail! Thank goodness there are 12 Days of Christmas!! Pleaser join us, and use keyword FM38 in your gallery. See what the design team did by checking out the Friday Mashup blog.


This week's challenge, along with last week, will remain open longer (January 4th, WooHoo!) so you can stamp at your leisure during this Christmas-New Year's season!! We hope you join us for each challenge...and tell your friends!!


Inky {{{HUGS}}}

8 comments:

  1. I think you've done a wonderful job with this card, Kim! The watercolouring is beautiful! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this card Kim! The watercoloring looks great and all of the other details are perfect! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas celebrating Christ's birth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for forgiving me Kim :) Your card came out wonderful! The colors are great and I really like your watercoloring.

    I hope you are feeling better and I hope you had a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kim, Seasons Greetings.

    Lovely card, the watercolouring is really nice.

    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you put the main image opposite of the topnote. Great take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is stunning. I love everything about it. You've inspired me to try this sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you did your focal image on the base of the card front and not on the top note... the colors are so soft and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great take on that sketch! I love it. Such a beautiful card for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete