Kim Padan: Pro-Life Speaker

Friday, May 11, 2012

Friday Mashup!! In Honor and Remembrance

Hello and Happy Friday everyone!  What a week I have had!  Eeeash!  So grateful for the weekend!  Among other reasons, the weekend means it is time for a fabulous Friday Mashup Challenge!  Lisa is our hostess with the mostest this week, and she has a more serious, but important theme for us.  Check it out: 

  1. Make a project that's "Patriotic or for Remembrance".
  2. Or Make a project with the colors " Whisper White, Night of Navy, Poppy Parade & Daffodil Delight."
  3. Or "Mash it Up" and create a "Remembrance or Patriotic project using the colors above."
  4. Donate your card to a Wounded Solider or that Special Service Member in your Life!
* If you would like to Donate a Card to a Wounded Service Member you can send your cards to Holly. The Red Cross at the Walter Reed National Medical Center will accept the cards and distribute them to Wounded Service Members throughout the hospital. Please send your cards to Holly Endress P.O. Box 18 Arnold, MD 21012 no later then May 31st. She will be hand delivering them to the Red Cross at the WRNMC.
                                                             **************************************
My husband served in the Navy for 7 years before I met him.  His father and one of his brothers were also in the Navy.  We have a nephew-in-law who serves proudly in the US Marines.  I am so grateful for the service of these men...and so many other men and women.  In fact, I moved to this current location for a music therapy internship at the local VA hospital.  I have heard many remarkable stories...and I cannot sing "God Bless America" without crying.  So, it felt very good to create this card.  (The pic isn't great, but I hope you can see some details.)
 
I started with a night of navy card base, layered with more navy that is embossed with the stripes impressions folder.  I did that for dimension, but also so I could wrap poppy parade ribbon (retiring when supplies are gone!) without it showing inside.  My main image is from Stampin' Up's "Courage" which I FINALLY purchased.  It retires at the end of this month.  I simple stamped it with navy ink on whisper white card stock, and layered it over poppy parade dsp.  The sentiment is from "Service and Sacrifice" which also retires May 31.  The layered stars are from a Sizzix die which is also retiring.  Notice the theme?  I went crazy with an order on April 30!  You can't tell in the pic, but I embossed the stars with the stripes too.  Lots of dimensionals make this a thick card, but no buttons or bows, so it's not "too much."
 
I realize with these new supplies, I really should create a stack of cards for our local VA.  If you don't have a VA hospital nearby, please consider sending your card to Holly for patients at the Walter Reed hospital (address above.)  With Memorial Day and the often forgotten Flag Day approaching us here in the US, it's a great time to show our appreciation to these brave men and women.
 
Be sure to check out the other Design Team projects and join us this week!  Use keyword FM58 in your online gallery.
 
Inky {{{HUGS}}}

5 comments:

  1. Kim, this is an awesome card.

    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooohoooo, go Navy and Semper Fi to the USMC! :)

    I plan on ordering these 2 sets before the end of the month, I love them, and you did a great card Kim! I love the embossing and the ribbon is a great touch!

    I also love how you mentioned Flag Day...June 14!! Like you said, not many people recognize that day or even know what its about. So sad! I love my flag and proudly fly it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out great Kim.. I love how you used the challenge colors and the image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great card! I love the understated image in blue ink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great card, Kim! Those sets were definitely worth waiting for! :)

    ReplyDelete