Kim Padan: Pro-Life Speaker

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Feast of the Holy Family!!

Merry 5th Day of Christmas!!

Today while at morning Mass, I saw several young families.  They caught my eye, because today is the Feast of the Holy Family (at least in the Catholic Church).  I love this feast day, because we are encouraged to renew our commitment to our own families...to live with gentleness and patience...and especially with forgiveness.

As a kid, the 2nd reading on this day always made me giggle.  "Children, obey your fathers...Fathers, do not provoke your children..."  I think we all just looked around at each other, trying not to laugh out loud while in church.

But in reality, these words from Scripture are so important and true.  Our American culture is suffering from a serious lack of strong fathers. I see it all the time at Women's Care Clinic.  Women whose boyfriends leave when they find out a baby is coming, or young men who are convinced that the best way to support their girlfriend is to sit by passively as she chooses to abort their baby...HIS baby.

What happened in their lives that made these men so apathetic?  Do they know their own dads?  Do they have any sense of love or acceptance from the man who should have been around more?

It can be easy to get discouraged.  But then I see young couples with young kids at church, and  think "Thank you, Lord Jesus!"  I was singing in the choir, mostly with my eyes closed today because I was trying to pray more and be less distracted during Communion.  For some reason, I opened my eyes, just as a young father was receiving the Eucharist, while holding his toddler asleep in his arms.  Just behind him was his young wife, carrying their younger child...also asleep.  As if that wasn't precious enough, I saw yet another couple with their four little ones coming to the table of the Lord.

YES!  This is God's design for family!  Being together...husbands and wives supporting each other...raising their children to know and love God.  This is what we celebrate this day!

I hope you and your family have a blessed day.  Whether you live alone, with your spouse, or with a bunch of kids...take this day to truly treasure the family God has given you!

Blessings,
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment