Kim Padan: Pro-Life Speaker

Saturday, January 16, 2016

Mashing Up in the New Year

Hello Stamping Friends!

I never did get around to posting about my 2016 Stamping Goals, but today's cards fit one of them.  One of my favorite challenge blogs is The Friday Mashup.  I served on the Design Team several years ago, and I continue to peek in from time to time.  Well, I decided that I would complete all of the 2016 FM challenges!  (Waving "Hi!" to my friends over there!)

I like that there is a variety (color, technique, theme) and that each week gives you the option of "mashing up" two challenges in one.  As with past goals, I am giving myself lots of wiggle room.  I don't *have to* do the challenges in order or the week posted...though I will try to.  I am already late for the first one of 2016, even though I knew what I would be doing.  To make up for that tardiness, I have this week's challenge completed already!

I needed another winter birthday card, so this week's Friday Mashup challenge to use blues and/or snowflakes was perfect.  My card base is sahara sand.  On a layer of very vanilla, I stamped "Serene Snowflakes" in baja breeze, not quite navy, and midnight muse.  I added a large midnight muse scallop circle, embellished with a silver glimmer brad and baja breeze felt snowflake, then popped up with some dimensionals.  Not quite navy taffeta ribbon is scrunched up for added texture.  Finally, I added the birthday sentiment from "Teeny Tiny Wishes" on the the duo of word window and modern label punches, intentionally cut off on one side for a different look.  All products are from Stampin' Up...but LOTS of retired goodies in this card!








Next, I have a card that was lots of fun.  This superhero theme from the first 2016 Friday Mashup was different for me, but I had the perfect image.  Unfortunately, I don't remember where it is from.  YEARS ago, a stamping friend visited me, and we stamped many images from each other's stash.  I still had a couple of these guys to use up.  (Dawn, if you see this...do you remember what company made this image?)  Any way, I made this card for a friend & colleague who recently got a promotion.  It is so well deserved!  As you can see, the card base is basic black.  I added panels of pacific point, which are dry embossed with a Cuttlebug folder, and plain real red.  My image was stamped in black pigment ink and heat embossed.  I used markers to color the image:  pacific point, real red, yo-yo yellow, blush blossom, going gray, and a bit of early espresso.  (My friend hasn't gone completely gray yet! LOL)  The image is matted in daffodil delight and popped up.  I cut the sentiment in a crazy shape, and outlined it with my yo-yo yellow marker, then popped it up.

I really like this card...but funny thing is, I may try to do it differently.  My friend's name is Jor-El.  That is the name of Superman's Dad!  So I searched online to see what dad should look like.  If I go with Marlon Brando's costume, adding texture will be the tricky part.  Stay tuned!

Thanks for stopping by!

Inky {{{HUGS}}}
Kim

3 comments:

  1. I love both cards. The first is so elegant and the second, so fun. I'm eager to see how you change it up for Jor-El.

    Kim CCMC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those snowflakes are so pretty! And the little superhero card is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic cards Kim! I'm so glad you're joining us and I love that playing along with FM is one of your goals!

    How cool that your co-worker is named after Superman's Dad! The actor Nicolas Cage named his youngest Kal-El (Superman's name!).

    Thanks for playing along with us!

    ReplyDelete