Kim Padan: Pro-Life Speaker

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Quaker Retirement


















My husband works in the maintenance department of the local Quaker plant, which makes gazillions of chewy granola bars among other things. One man is retiring at the end of the month, so I was "commissioned" to make his card. He loves to fish, and a close friend requested a card with a man and boy fishing together. Hmmmm. None in my stash, so I searched and found a set called "Gone Fishing" at Gina K Designs. Perfect! The people, pier and cat tails were actually 3 separate stamps! I stamped with chocolate chip craft ink, heat embossed, then colored in with my blender pens. I then went over the entire scene with my versamarker, used clear embossing powder to heat emboss again, then sponged the grass, sky and water. This is called emboss resist, I believe, because the sponging resists the images. Love this! I used lots of colors in this card...soft suede, dusty durango, basic gray, bordering blue, mellow moss, old olive, always artichoke, so saffron, blush blossom, and night of navy. Whew! There were no fishing lines, so I used my basic black stampin' write journaler pen, and added subtle ripples in the water. Larger fish were used as background images (and on the envelope), stamped and heat embossed in chocolate chip and night of navy. The card base is crumb cake, and I added a layer of (retired) bordering blue, embossed with divine swirls in my big shot. I corner punched just the right side of the layers for a different look. The ribbon is retired SU, the brads are non SU, and the twine is current SU. LOTS of dimensionals on this card!! LOL!!

This was fun to make...I hope the guy likes it. He better not throw it away! heehee

Inky {{{HUGS}}}

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful card - you did an amazing job and I'm sure he'll love it.... I really like the boy and man sitting on the pier fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. Your coloring is fabulous. Love how you used the fish in the background as well as the BS embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man! I can't believe how awesome this card is! Way to go! I want a fish card now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. if Bruce photographed this, he gets kudos for making it shine so well on the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The image is perfect! You colored it so well. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is great! LOVE that image and your coloring is fantastic. Awesome background too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhhhhhhh so nice! This is so serene and peaceful, beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you did the watercoloring on this beautiful fishing image. A very nice retirement card for a fishing enthusiast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't just like this, I LOVE it! What a beautiful card. You did an amazing job creating the seen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great images! At first, I was wondering what fishing had to do with being a Quaker. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome card! I agree with Heidi, I was wondering who was a Quaker until I read the post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, it reminds me of Summer by the Sea that SU sold. Wish they'd do more like this!! Awesome card.

    ReplyDelete