Kim Padan: Pro-Life Speaker

Monday, August 9, 2010

Thinking Outside the Card Box


This card features last week's SCS Color Challenge (blushing bride, riding hood red, and early espresso) with last week's sketch challenge. The card used for the sketch example was created by my good friend Dawn (aka dawnmercedes) so I had to give this a try.

I need more Thank You cards for the ministry, and I already know who will receive this! Everything used is from Stampin' Up!

The main riding hood red card base is just 3-1/2" wide, so it still fits in a standard A2 envelope, even with those layers sticking out. I used 3 stamp sets: Friends Never Fade, Teeny Tiny Wishes, and Define Your Life. The stylized flower is colored with stampin' write markers on very vanilla card stock, (petals colored with blushing bride, "thumped" with riding hood red, center colored in so saffron, stems in early espresso) lightly sponged with blushing bride. I cut the oval using my Big Shot and the Ovals die. I used pieces of paper from the Regals and Neutrals Patterned Paper Packs, reinforced with blushing bride card stock. The self-adhesive pearls add a bit of elegance, and I also used Crystal Effects and Riding Hood Red re-inker for the faux brads. I LOVE this new detail, and will be using it a lot!

It was tough, but definitely fun to make a card that is not a rectangle, square, or even a circle! Sometimes we need to be challenged to think outside the box...give it a try!!

10 comments:

  1. Very unusual! I love the sets you combined and the colors are gorgeous. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice layout! I love the details, including the thumping and the pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting take on the sketch challenge. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this is amazing! Great card, great twist on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kim! Lofe the TY card...and for such a good cause, too. I have to remember to pull out the Define Your Life set and use it more often.

    Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment today! Jan Hoyt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim, this card is lovely, the "thumping" of Red Riding Hood on the Blushing Bride, is just striking. Never tried the Crystal Affects as a faux brad, that is really shiny and pretty. I want to thank you for stopping by my blog, I so appreciate your visit and I now have a new blog to visit and your cards are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great card, and i love the fact that it still fits in a regular envie. Thanks for sharing that. I love the added red thumped onto the pink.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a very clever little card!! Glad you said it fit in an A2...I was thinking it was larger than that! Very fun!

    ReplyDelete